Kingston Farmers Market – Site Manager Job Posting 12/14/21:
Kingston Farmers Market – Food Access Coordinator Job Posting 12/14/21:
Kingston Farmers Market
Site Manager Job Posting
Overview: The Kingston Farmers’ Market is a non-profit organization that runs a year-round public farmer’s market on Saturdays in the Uptown neighborhood of the City of Kingston, NY. The market runs outdoors rain or shine from May-November and indoors from December – April, with some dates and locations changed due to the pandemic. The market has 50+ vendors and works each week with community groups and musicians. Please visit our website for more information: https://kingstonfarmersmarket.org/
Site Manager Position: We are seeking a part-time Site Manager who will oversee market operations on market days (Saturdays), will report to the Market Manager and will work alongside the Food Access Coordinator.
This is a part time, year round position.
The Site Manager will be responsible for all aspects of market operations on market days. The position requires the ability to work independently as well as within a team, and to communicate effectively with a variety of people including: customers, vendors, volunteers, health inspectors, police and city transportation departments as well as KFM staff, volunteers and interns. The Site Manager’s general responsibilities include: managing vendor relationships on market days, coordinating market set-up and break-down including the market’s tents, tables, equipment, signs and other materials, staffing the KFM booth and operating the SNAP/EBT program and Square sales, answering customer questions, and assisting with the market’s special events program.
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic advocate of the local food movement and Hudson Valley agriculture.
The Market Manager must be available every Saturday 7:00am-3:00pm from May through November and every other Saturday 8:00am-3:00pm from December to April. Must be willing and able to work outside in all weather conditions, and be able to safely lift and carry at least 50 pounds. Use of one’s own vehicle is recommended for moving equipment from the storage space to the site (about 2 blocks). Candidates without access to a vehicle will be considered, the market has a hand truck that can be used to move equipment also.
The Site Manager is expected to be available on all scheduled market days, and will give at least a week’s notice if they are not available.
The Site Manager is responsible for the following activities:
- Arrive at market 2 hours before opening to coordinate market set-up and stay at market until all vendors have left and site is cleared and cleaned (usually 1 hour after market closing).
- Transport and set-up/break-down about five 10’x10’ pop up tents and three 8’ tables for KFM booth, community and music booths. Also transport approx four bins, four A-Frame signs, weights for the legs of tents, and a small PA system.
- Coordinate vendor parking and set-up, ensuring vendors are in the correct spaces.
- Staff the KFM booth throughout the day providing information to customers, processing SNAP sales and selling KFM merchandise with Square and similar apps, and maintaining the cashbox.
- Keep detailed records of SNAP and market currency reimbursements and vendor attendance.
- Manage and maintain equipment and supplies such as SNAP tokens and other market currency, cleaning supplies, displays and banners, and communicate with Market Manager when supplies need to be replenished.
- Transport and manage community compost bins and trash bin.
- Contact County Sheriff or City of Kingston Police to remove unauthorized vehicles from site as necessary.
- Safely transport cash box and tech equipment and make sure they are safely kept during the week and equipment is charged upon return to market on Saturdays
GENERAL MARKET SUPPORT
- Assist vendors, community representatives and customers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution and general aid.
- Enforce market rules.
- Occasionally assist vendors by providing limited set up help and brief personal breaks
- Maintain contact with Market Manager regarding issues and general feedback
- Make social media posts during market days.
Pay rate is $21 per hour, and if one’s vehicle is used, the market will offer a vehicle stipend to cover wear and tear. The Kingston Farmers Market is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This is an immediate opening, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Ideally Jan 8, 2022 would be the first market day worked.
Kingston Farmers Market
Food Access Coordinator Job Posting
Overview: The Kingston Farmers Market is a non-profit organization that runs a year-round public farmers market on Saturdays in the Uptown neighborhood of the City of Kingston, NY. The market runs outdoors rain or shine from May-November and indoors from December – April, but some dates and locations have been changed due to the pandemic. The market has 50+ vendors and works each week with community groups and musicians. Please visit our website for more information: www.kingstonfarmersmarket.org.
Food Access Coordinator Position: We are seeking a part-time Food Access Coordinator who will execute and grow the market’s goals around food justice, food access, accessibility and inclusivity at the Kingston Farmers Market. They will report to the Board of Directors and Market Manager and work alongside the Site Manager.
This is a part-time, year-round position.
- The Food Access Coordinator will work on-site at the market (every Saturday May-November & every other Saturday December-April) for 3-4 hours, for an approx. 15-18 hours remotely throughout the month, and attend a 1-2 hour board meeting per month (usually Monday evenings via Zoom during the pandemic). Approximate hourly commitment of 32 hours a month.
- The position requires the ability to work independently as well as interdependently with a team of volunteers, interns and staff members. Must be willing and able to work outside in all weather conditions.
- The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic advocate of the local food movement and Hudson Valley agriculture with experience in food systems and food justice work. They must be reliable, self-motivated and have strong communication skills.
- Must be proficient in Google Docs and Sheets, Excel, Social Media, and Video Communication Apps, with willingness to learn new software.
The Food Access Coordinator is responsible for the following activities:
- Manage the EBT/SNAP program at the market, including populating weekly spreadsheets and generating monthly and yearly reports while being a liaison between the market and government agencies (local and state).
- Manage additional benefit programs offered at the market, such as FreshConnect and Double Up
- Manage and track the market currency programs
- Attend bi-annual vendor meetings and oversee vendor education about how to accept and be reimbursed for benefit programs and market currencies
- Oversee promotional materials related to benefit programs and market currencies
- Manage post-market gleaning in coordination with local community groups and farmers
- Coordinate bi-annual food drives and weekly collection for Kingston’s Community Fridges
- Attend trainings, conferences and community meetings in connection with government assistance programs and local food systems
- Independent and self-motivated research and outreach in local communities and the local food system
- Work with the Board of Directors and the Market Manager to innovate and execute ways for the market to continue it’s DEI goals.
Pay rate is $21-24 per hour. The Kingston Farmers Market is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This is an immediate opening, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.