Overview: The Kingston Farmers’ Market is a non-profit organization that runs a year-round public farmer’s market in the City of Kingston. 2019 official season runs from May through November 23 from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. rain or shine on Wall Street in Uptown Kingston. We have 40+ vendors – please visit our website for more information: www.kingstonfarmersmarket.org
We are seeking a Site Manager who will oversee market operations on market days (Saturdays), and will work alongside and report to the Market Manager. The Winter Market is every other Saturday from December through April.
The Site Manager will be responsible for all aspects of market operations on market days. This position requires the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people, including: customers, vendors, volunteers, health inspectors, police and city transportation departments as well as KFM staff and interns. The Site Manager’s general responsibilities include: managing vendor relationships, coordinating market set-up and break-down each day, operating the EBT (food stamps) program, answering customer questions, and assisting with the market’s special events program.
The Market Manager must be available every Saturday from June 29 – November 17 throughout the season, be willing and able to work outside in all weather conditions, and be able to safely lift and carry at least 50 pounds. The winter market is every other Saturday from December through April inside the Old Dutch Church. The position requires the ability to work independently as well as interdependently with the team of volunteers, interns and staff members.
The required Saturday hours for the Site Manager are from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.; however, the Site Manager is expected to remain on the street until the last vendor leaves. Additionally, the Site Manager is expected to be available to hang No Parking signs on Wall Street every Friday afternoon at some time between 1pm and 5pm.
The Site Manager will communicate with the Market Manager without delay if they cannot attend a market.
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic advocate of the local food movement and Hudson Valley agriculture. The Site Manager must be reliable, self-motivated and have strong communication and customer service skills.
Specific responsibilities will be determined by the needs of the customers, our partners and the vendors at the market. Generally, the Site Manager is responsible for the following activities:
- Arrive at market 2 hours before opening to coordinate market set-up and stay at market until all vendors have left (usually no more than 1 hour after market closing).
- Set up KFM tent, table and display, and tents and tables for music and other events
- Place road barriers prior to opening on each market day, and remove those barriers at the close of market.
- Coordinate vendor parking and set-up, ensuring vendors are in the correct space.
- Staff the KFM tent providing information to customers, selling KFM merchandise, and helping run the EBT/Credit Card machine.
- Keep detailed records of merchandise sales, vendor attendance, and other information as requested by Market Manager
- Contact City of Kingston Police to remove unauthorized vehicles from Wall Street as necessary
GENERAL MARKET SUPPORT
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with KFM staff and interns, vendors, customers and community members.
- Assist vendors, community representatives and customers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution and general aid as appropriate.
- Enforce market rules.
- Occasionally assist vendors by providing limited set up help and brief personal breaks
- Maintain contact with Market Manager regarding issues and general feedback
This is a year-round position that is part-time. Pay rate is $16-$18 per hour. The Kingston Farmers Market is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with June 29th being the first market day worked.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
posted June 4, 2019